Writing 110: The quick write today was a response to a New York Times article on shark finning. I am attaching the article - please comment on one of the three questions on the bottom of the article. Read Mitch Albom's "A Sensless Death in the Age of Anger". Highlight the following for Monday:
1. elements of story
2. the author's central idea/purpose
3. evidence to support the argument
4. examples of writer's craft
English 112: Work on your projects! Also, read chapter 10 for Tuesday's class. Today, we answered questions on chapter 9 in class. If you did not finish them in class, finish for homework for Monday:
1. Jack is now a very powerful leader. Discuss the following descriptions and explain what they say about his power: Page 149 - "...Jack, painted and garlanded, sat there like an idol." Page 150 - "...authority sat on his shoulder and chattered in his ear like an ape."
2. Page 151-152. There is a new reason for the dance. What is it? Why have the words changed?
3. What is the tragic irony of Simon’s death? When you look at the language which describes the murder, what have the children become? 4. What happens to the parachutist? Why is this important to the plot of the novel?
English 10: Work on the individual homework that you have been given for your project. Also, read chapters 21 and 22 for Tuesday (there will be a reading check).