##2017 Vinyl Cutter Project; Joshua & Emily

February 20th, 2017 - Project Proposal

Journal Entry #1

March 3rd, 2017

Within the last couple of weeks, we have been trying to broaden our understanding with the newest silhouette vinyl cutter model. Throughout our trials, we have experienced some technical difficulties. During one of our trials we have experienced a glitch where it didnt cut out a letter. As well, we had some issues downloading the program and achieving success with using the program. Recently we have been quite successful with our project. We have made labels, stencils, and learnt how to layer vinyl. Our plans for the future, are to finish the millerton sign project, and to learn about and work with the heat vinyl press. In order to complete the sign project we must wait for the vinyl order to come in.

Research for upcoming projects:


Jornal Entry #2

March 30th, 2017

Over the last couple of weeks we have started the Millerton signs project, we figured out how to print multiple names/borders in a single cut which ended up saving us a lot of time and we also got familiar with using tansfer tape.  One of the problems we ran into while cutting the vinyl was having to adjust the depth of the blade to make peeling them easier, and another was that some of the names we tried to cut were too long.  We ended up layering some of the names of the rooms (one above the other) so we could fit it on the sign. Within the last couple of days we have been trying to get as much printing done as possible because we will not have the vinyl cutter we have been working with for much longer.  Our plans for the future are to finish the Millerton signs project, and to learn about and work with the heat vinyl press. 

 Journal Entry #3

May 9th, 2017

During the last couple of weeks we completed our first project presentations. As well, we determined our second project. We decided to continue with the vinyl cutter, because we didnt get the opportunity to apply our own creativity to our project. Now, we will use the vinyl cutter to create stencils. With the stencils that we create, we plan to paint designs onto pieces of wood. For now, we are continuing to cut the vinyl for the Millerton signs until we run out of vinyl. We altered the blade depth and the speed of the vinyl cutter. The speed caused us to have to lower the depth of the blade, even though the depth was fine before hand. We plan to use up the remaining vinyl this week, and be able to work on our ideas next week.

Journal Entry #4

June 8th, 2017

During the last few weeks, we finished our first project and began our second project. However, our laptop wouldn't cooperate with us and we had to wait for the technician to come in. It took a very long time for the technician to come in because he was sick! For our second project we decided to do glass etching vinyl. It was a great project because we had a major time restriction... the project was easy to do and it was quick. As well, the project gives recognition to organizations that helped our makerspace. When the technician came in to fix our laptop, he downloaded the newest software for the vinyl cutter, and we have no idea how to use it. With the time that we've had we only got to play with it for one class. We've completed our second project and delivered the signs to Millerton! In our opinion, this semester was a success!