Posted: November 14, 2017
Posted: November 8, 2017
Don't forget to pass in your graphic organizer assignment for "The Most Dangerous Game" on Thursday, November 9.
Remember: you need to have quotations on it, and it has to be clearly organized and easy to read. It doesn't matter if it's colourful or illustrated; it just matters that someone can get information about the story from it.
Posted: October 30, 2017
Posted: October 24, 2017
- Independent Corrections Sheet for the personal essay was due on Monday, October 23.
2. Essay rewrites are allowed; just pass in your rewrite with the original essay and rubric. Deadline for rewrites is November 3rd.
3. Flash fiction assignment is due on Thursday, October 26. Please type it in MLA format.
4. Article of the Week #3 (Clowns) is due on Friday, October 27.
Posted: October 19, 2017
- Progress reports went out on Wednesday, October 18. The scores for the Personal Essay were entered incorrectly (out of 36 instead of 35) for Periods 2 and 5, so I will fix the error and give new reports on Monday. Remember that the scores are weighted (assignments are worth more than classwork/participation), so it's not just an average of every mark.
- Independent Corrections Sheets for the essays are due on Monday, October 23.
- Essay rewrites are allowed; just pass in your rewrite with the original essay and rubric. Deadline for rewrites is November 3rd.
Posted: October 2, 2017
Article of the Week #2 is due on Friday: don't forget to add the window quote.
Personal Essay draft is due on Wednesday, October 4.
Posted: September 19, 2017
Label the following personal essay traits in "A Mistake that Lasts a Lifetime":
-reflection (shows thoughts, emotions, etc.)
Posted: September 18, 2017
Today I went over how to do an annotated close reading, and you had time to start this on your Article of the Week. The article and your response are due on Friday. Remember, the late policy applies and marks are deducted for each day it is late! I've attached this week's article.
Annotated Close Reading
As you are reading the article, do the following directly on your copy of the article:
Highlight the text for the following:
a. Points that you think are important and should be stressed
b. Text-to-self, text-to-text, text-to-world connections
c. Parts that you do not understand
Make notes in the margins for:
a. Items that you highlighted (importance, connections, confusions
b. Ideas that you agree or disagree with.
c. Ideas that surprise, anger, or otherwise cause a strong reaction
Posted: September 2, 2017
If you're checking out this page before the first day of classes, here is what you will need for this course:
- a hard-covered writer's notebook
- tabs or post-it notes to make sections in your writer's notebook
- pens and pencils
- highlighters (ideally in a few different colours)
- a novel for independent reading (can be from home, my classroom or the library)
- a binder or section of a binder for course notes
Posted: April 26, 2017
On Wednesday, May 3 the class will be travelling to Gretna Green to teach writing lessons to elementary classes. A permission slip has been given to the students that must be signed by the morning teachers and a parent/guardian. We will be leaving at 9:30 am and returning at noon.
Posted: February 21, 2017
Grammar Quiz (see attached document for the list of words to know):
Period 3: Thursday, February 23
Period 4: Wednesday, February 22
Period 5: Wednesday, February 22